Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Parenting Moment....




A couple of days ago I was in the kitchen holding Jeremy. I decided I needed to feed the dogs. I got the lid off the dog food and got ready to scoop it out. I decided I needed both of my hands to scoop the food into the bowl so I sat Jeremy down on the floor. I scoop some dog food, put it in the bowl and turn around.... guess what Jeremy's doing???? He's already pulled up on the dog food and he's reaching for the dog food! Knowing Jeremy the very next thing he would do if he got the dog food in his hand is put it in his mouth. So out of reflex I quickly snatch the bucket and start pulling it away....

Okay, lets think about this for a minute. I have an 8 1/2 month son who pulls up on everything but can't stand on his own. He's wearing socks which makes the floor even more slippery. And I'm yanking his support object away from him!!!!! Real brilliant idea dad, lets consider the scenarios that could play out here.

Best case he hangs on to the bucket, keeps his balance and I have accomplished nothing. My son is still holding the bucket and is only seconds away from a mouth full of pedigree. Not to mention the way Bucky and Trigger will feel, I mean I don't let them eat Jeremy's food, well unless he drops it on the floor and I don't feel like sweeping it up.

The other possible outcome is that I pull the bucket away, he falls like a bag of rocks, bangs his head on the floor and I spend the 2 hours feeling horrible about the big red mark on his head.

So the lesson here? Sometimes my initial reaction to a situation can yield no positive results. If I'm lucky I end up right back where I started. If not I have a toddler with a mouth of dog food or a large knot on his head.

Enjoy the pics of Jeremy in his new NC State Warmup Suit....

4 comments:

audrey said...

that story reminds me of my niece julia. she used to sneek and eat dog food quite a bit. my sister got a child proof can for the dog food and she still was able to get the top off and eat the dog food. julia is a very healthy child so it can't be too bad for you. love the outfit. go state

grandpa said...

Jeremy looks like the future cycling team recruit for State to me. Love Grandpa

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

A D O R A B L E PICTURES! These are some of our favorite!

aunt shell said...

i think the pictures are very good...and loved the dog food story...oh well...live and learn...better you then me...haha...love always, aunt shell