Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Bottle: Frustrating yet Satisfying


This is dad once again. So I've got dad's tips for bottle feeding for any grandparent that has or will in the future be subjected to Jeremy's whims when it come to taking a bottle. I'll get to them right after my brief story of today's bottle feeding adventure. As you may well know, patience is not a virtue that I have an abundance of. So sometimes giving Jeremy a bottle can frustrate me. Today I decided that it wasn't going to frustrate me and we would take as long as needed to give him a bottle. I started out in his room, my thinking was that he'd be most comfortable there and surely he would take the bottle... no dice! After 5 minutes of whining we moved to the couch. I set him with his back resting between the arm and back of the couch and let him reach for the bottle and just helped him tilt and hold it. There he did drink 1.5 ounces. Then he decided he no longer liked the couch, so we moved to the kitchen. I tried his high chair and he threw an enormous fit (I wouldn't recommend this for bottle feeding). From there I tried on my lap in the kitchen but he would take the bottle nipple and immediately pull away. Finally I decided to get the pacifier and go to his room again and just get him to calm down. Once he was calmed down I tried Gammy's method of alternating the pacifier and bottle. Again I was thwarted. Finally I just set the bottle on one leg, him on the other and just rocked him. Eventually he reached for it, so I took the pacifier out and he started drinking..... and drinking.... and drinking. You can imagine me yelling in my head, "go... go....go....go". He drank the rest of the bottle, all at once. A total of 5.5 ounces! I believe he would have drunk more had there been more in the bottle. He also feel asleep while drinking his bottle (a first I might add). So what did I learn from all this?

These are my tips.
1. Make sure he is in a good mood before you start (i.e. not too tired and not fussy)
2. Minimize any possible distractions (talking, people moving around, TV, etc)
3. Don't try to force the bottle on him
4. Try different things until he finds something he likes
5. Pray...... a lot!

The last and most important rule....

Forget all the rules and tips.... If he feels like taking the bottle, you are in for a pleasurable experience, if not..... well..... just remember he's really cute when he isn't whining!

I have also included a pic of Jeremy taking his Bucky horse for a ride!

Supermom and I will probably not blog tomorrow, Wednesday are crazy for us!

2 comments:

audrey said...

doug, your tips are always very helpful, we will definitely use them. i did chase grandpa into jeremy's room at one point and that did not work at all. you do get very excited when he starts drinking and just hold your breath and i did catch myself giving grandpa a thumbs up several times. we did get a good laugh and yes you just look at him and he is so adorable the frustration just disappears. good luck tomorrow. can't wait to see everyone

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

Sounds like Jeremy wants to reach for the bottle on his own, kinda like he will drink it if it's his idea, not yours! Imagine that!!!
Congratulations, your patience endured, and Jeremy drank his bottle all gone!
Love,
Maw-maw