Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time to Monkey Around!



As you all know we went to the zoo on Monday and had a great time. We started in Africa which was a nice change. Most animals are active in the morning and take the around lunch/after lunch time to take a nice long nap. So you have a choice - you can start in North America and get to see the Polar Bears and Sealions active or you can start in Africa and see the monkeys, zebras, and giraffes up close and personal. I'm glad we started in Africa because I had never done that before.

Jeremy had a GREAT time. Much better than last year when he didn't even realize really what was real and what wasn't. This time it was actually a little "too real". When we would come up to a statue he was scared and we had to tell him it was "a toy" before he would touch it. He was also terrified of all of the animals on the carousel. Gammy had to sit with him in the swan (which is basically a bench that doesn't move up and down) because his perception was so altered from being at the zoo and seeing "real animals".

The first picture is of Jeremy checking out the chimpanzees. We thought they were really close until we got to the gorilla who was within inches of us. Gammy says when you can see inside a gorillas ear you know you're close! You'll notice Jeremy is holding a map. This was his souvenier. It's great having a two-year-old. You give them a map with an elephant on it and they think it is the coolest present in the world (he's still carrying it around the house two days later).

The second picture is one of Jeremy and Elizabeth. He's asked to "go see Elizabeth" at least 40 times since Tuesday. Except when he says Elizabeth it sounds like "rivers" to me so it takes me FOREVER to figure out what he's saying. You'd think I'd catch on eventually.

The third picture is Jeremy looking at his favorite animal at the zoo - the Buffalo. I know, kinda' wierd. We do have one book with a picture of a buffalo in it, but we don't really talk about it that much. The night before we went to the zoo though, Jeremy said he wanted to see one. We didn't get to see it that close, but if you ask him now what his favorite animal at the zoo was, he'll say "Buffalo". Go figure...

3 comments:

aunt shell said...

i love the pic's and the stories...but his aunt had a great time w/him at the zoo...i remember taking u and chacha places...it was lots of fun...and i will always treasure those spcl times we had 2gether...i look fwd to spcl times w/jeremy bean and daniel...uncle david b. is on a field trip maybe when jeremy & daniel get in school he can go on field trips w/them...love always, aunt shell

Gammy said...

Jeremy's buffalo is on the way! Since I ordered through e-bay (very hard to find a stuffed animal in a buffalo!) it may take a week or two to reach him. He was so good at the zoo, he deserved every animal in the gift shop. BTW, I found a 6 ft buffalo on the internet. I thought it would be priceless to see Mom and Dad's face when that arrived at the door. I didn't buy it due to the $595. price tag, plus I thought Jeremy might be scared of it. It was quite frightening to me. Love to all!

Gammy said...

I miss you so much!!!!