Thursday, April 03, 2008

Stroller Delimma




Here are some cute pics of Jeremy at Martha Rivers Park in Gastonia. If you live around this area you should go. It's an awesome park. Jeremy has a blast. In the summer time the frog and fish even squirt water at you.

Jeremy has been super-great these past few days. We even went shopping and he didn't flip out. Yesterday was our first accident free day (almost) in probably a couple of months. Wooohooo! I say almost because (don't laugh) I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my gimungo belly while we were playing croquet inside so I had to come inside to lay down and didn't get to take Jeremy to the potty. Today has been accident free thus far too. The most exciting part is that he has actually told us a few times that he needed to go potty!

For those of you without children, I'm sorry about all the potty posts. After you change 8 pairs of wet underwear a day, you just get used to 'potty talk'.

MY DELIMMA OF THE DAY:
I'm trying to figure out what to do about double strollers. So far, I haven't even been able to narrow it down to the TYPE I want to buy, much less the brand. I'll take a poll and see what you guys think.

Option 1:

One of those very nifty toddler sit n' stand strollers. Room for baby in the front and bench on the back where Jeremy can sit or stand. There are two huge drawbacks though - 1. I don't believe Jeremy would sit or stand for very long before wanting to get out and 2. He could never nap in the stroller. Not too terribly bad on price though.




Option 2:

Double umbrella stroller. We LOVE our single umbrella stroller. It's super-lightweight and we take it everywhere in the van with us. It's works great at Target and the mall. Once again, two drawbacks - 1. Daniel could not ride in it for a couple of months (the manuals say 6 but we had Jeremy in it at 2) and 2. No storage room underneath. Not such a big deal for kids Jeremy's age, but babies need gimungo diaper bags. These are the most cost effective strollers. A fancy double umbrella is around 90 bucks (see picture). I can get a single one for as cheap as 10, so I figure I can get a cheap double one for under 50. This is very appealing to me...


Option 3:

Big Mama Double Stroller. These come in side by side versions or front and back (tandem) versions. On the positive side both kids could sleep and there is plenty of storage room underneath. On the negative side they are super big and heavy and hard to get into and out of your car. I've also heard that they can be hard to steer and don't fit in between aisles at stores very well (ARGH!). Can you imagine trying to open those crazy giant doors at Old Navy or something like that while pushing one of these? These are also the most expensive strollers so if we get it, it better work!


So what do you guys think?

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Finally! I have some expertise on this. I LOVE the combi double strollers. (We bought ours on sale on Amazon but you may even be able to find some on Craiglist now). They fold up into about the size of a golf bag, they are pretty light, and they fit through any door I've tried. I've taken them in stores with aisles and clothing stores and grocery stores. I've managed to fit a shocking amount of groceries in the bottom basket things. Bad thing - they don't accept car seats that aren't combi so this may be one you'll want to either use only when you don't have to cart a baby in and out of a lot of stores or when going on a walk or to the park. But, since you'll be strapping and unstrapping Jeremy, you can just do the same with the baby. A friend of mine has the sit and stand and she uses it occasionally but her daughter is a year older than our kids. Email me if you want more particulars. Sorry for the long post.

grandpa said...

Keep the single stroller. Put a helmet on Daniel and let Jeremy push his little brother. Love Pa

audrey said...

i think you should get both. of course us older people have no experience with either. things just weren't as nice back a long time ago. good luck with the decision

Kimberly said...

Oh - and I forgot to emphasize last time how terrible the Jeep doubles are. I got one, took it home, assembled it, and couldn't get it through my parent's doors. I took it back. Plus, it was super flimsy and you can't fold it up without taking apart the shades. Grr.....The Combi Twin Savvy was a reasonable price for a pretty sturdy stroller. A drawback - the baskets underneath aren't super huge and the push bar thingy is super wide so I couldn't hang a diaper bag over the bar like I could on the single wide, double deep. But after reading fifty million reviews of strollers, no stroller has it all....even if you have tons of money to pay thousands for a stroller.........I'd find a nice cheap used one in case Jeremy won't ride in it at all....then your investment isn't too bad.

Love,
kim (again)