Wednesday, May 28, 2008

That's my boy!

Pa was up last week to help us out (thanks Pa!) and he went on a bike ride with Jeremy around the block. Jeremy rode the tractor PowerWheel and Pa rode one of Daddy's bikes. They got about three houses away and Jeremy asked Pa, "Pa, You forget your helmet?". Yup. That's my boy. They both came back and put on helmets.

Also in a new note, we really don't 'spank' that often, but must admit it's pretty effective when we do. It's really not even a spanking in the sense that it's not really a production, I just pop him on the bottom when it's necessary. It's usually a split second thing. Examples of when a spanking is applicable in our house:
Leaving the bathroom without letting Mommy wipe your bottom (Ewww, poo all over the house). On a side note I don't think I've ever actually spanked him for this (gross, poo on my hand), but I've threatened with it - A LOT!
Kicking or hitting friends/parents/relatives.
Times when time-out is not available (when we're out somewhere or can't get inside).
Extremely annoying circumstances when Mommy threatens spanking AND time out (hmmm, this is getting more and more frequent lately. I wonder if this is because Mommy's patience is running thin at the end of the pregnancy).
So whenever I threaten a spanking or have just given one, Jeremy's new saying is "No Mommy! You not spank my buck!". I'm not sure where he learned this word, but I feel like saying, "Son, you're not even using it correctly, it's BUTT!"

So, what to do? We don't use the word butt in our house, we use bottom (or heiny - how do you spell that?). So do I correct him and say "It's butt and we don't use that word", not correct him and ignore it, or just simply say "We don't use that word in our house"? I've been ignoring lately, but it was incredibly hard for us the first time we heard it not to burst out laughing. We've had several friends and family members laugh at it too which probably has made Jeremy think it's a very interesting thing to say. It's hard not to laugh.....

3 comments:

Gammy said...

Thank God you blogged today! I've left 2 messages and was getting a little concerned.

How about "Jeremy, your heiny is your butt or buttocks, but that's not a word we use outside of the bathroom, that's a bathroom word".

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

Somewhere along the way butt must have become short for buttocks. This blog made me investigate the word butt in the dictionary. It had many meanings but I couldn't find one where it was referred to in this manner, BUT my dictionary is from the 1970's. I have heard kids and adults say, "I'm gonna whoop your butt!" I know whoop is slang, too, but I got a whoppin' when I was little!
I do say hiney, hind end, rump, or rumpus, BUT most of these are slang too.
Oh well Laurina, at least Jeremy didn't say, "NO MOMMY, YOU not WHOOP my butt! THAT MEANS HE DIDN'T HEAR IT FROM OUR SIDE OF THE FAMILY:)
Love you all,
Maw-maw
PS. We did hear Jeremy say this pharse on Monday, and couldn't help but laugh. SORRY

Dani In NC said...

I'd stick with, "We don't use that word." At his age, simplicity is best. The day will come soon enough when he will expect explanations :-).