Sunday, December 20, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

We've been talking to Jeremy a lot about being generous lately. We had a long discussion when we went to drop off toys for children that won't get any other ones for Christmas. We have also been discussing it as we make crafts and wrap gifts for our family.

This morning we were leaving for church and I realized that I left our gift box at home.

Our church has been doing a capital campaign to open another campus in Blakeney (South Charlotte). They asked us to bring our pledge and our "first fruits gift" in a little gift box today to church. As I turned around in the neighborhood Jeremy asked me what was going on.

I told him that Mommy had forgotten her box to the church with the money that Mommy and Daddy were giving to help people learn about Jesus. Jeremy said, "I want to give money so people can learn about Jesus".

I was touched so I told him that he had $4 he had collected from Christmas/Thanksgiving/Halloween cards that his Great Aunt had sent him. I brought the $4 out to him with our gift box. I told him he could put whatever he wanted into the box. He put $2 in it and handed it back to me.

Apparently we have a 50% tither. We don't tithe at 50%. So impressed with my sons generosity this morning.

I guess it goes to show that talking to your children, even at a young age, about being generous has a bigger impact than you think it does.

2 comments:

Gammy said...

Jeremy has the BIGGEST heart of anyone I know. His cup will be overflowing with blessings!

grandpa said...

he is such a sweetheart with a heart of gold.
grandma