I had a Mountain Dew at 8pm tonight.
So it's 10pm and I'm still not asleep. Doug is asleep less than a foot away from me.
Ahhhhhhhhh......
So what do you guys think about this whole flu thing? It's got me kinda' paranoid. It seems as if everyone on facebook has the dang swine flu. Everyone around here has it or has had it.
I'm thinking my options are - get the swine flu, or get the shot.
So why not just get the shot? Welllllllllllllllllllll, you see, I'm pregnant (newsflash - I bet you didn't know that). That makes me SUPER paranoid about what I put into my body. I mean, seriously! You aren't supposed to eat even low mercury fish more than twice a week because of the risk of poisoning your baby. Now, I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but I heard a report on fox news from 'someone who works for the CDC' that said the mercury derivative in the flu vaccine has more than 25,000 times the mercury in it than a fish that is considered 'unsafe to eat during pregnancy'.
Now, if you're me - here's the deal. I don't want to sound like one of those 'granola', all-natural, don't vaccinate your children gals. I'm all about modern medicine. It just seems to me that if we're going to encourage everyone who's pregnant to get this vaccine, shouldn't we test it for multiple years first? And don't even tell me they've tested this vaccine for multiple years. They couldn't have. The last time they did the swine flu vaccine back in the 70s it was a disaster.
I had a chemistry teacher in college who said she was inspired to go into chemistry because her mother was given some kind of medicine when she was pregnant with her (for morning sickness) that caused some kind of birth defect in my teacher. Of course, they thought the medicine was fine at the time. It wasn't until 10 years down the road they found out it was not so fine. Do I honestly want to take a chance on a vaccine for something that I may not even get?
I've never gotten the flu before. I'm pretty sure that me even typing that means that I will definately get it this year. My kids have never gotten the flu. I think Doug's had it once. I'm just sayin....
Would love to hear your thoughts...
3 comments:
I totally agree. I'm funny about vaccines that haven't had a chance to be tested properly. I was one of those girls that considered holding off on Noah's vaccinations till I did enough research.
I heard the same report. It doesn't sound safe, so for now, Brad & I aren't getting it. We figured we'll just hibernate this winter till it looks safe to come out again. :)
I don't know what to tell you. It's risky either way. Your OB probably will tell you to get it, but I would ask more about it first.
I think pregnant chicks are exempt from the swine flu vaccine. Really, I think you can't get it. Maybe you can get the regular one - I know I did when I had the girls incubating.
As for the rest of the vaccines kids get, I was greatly heartened by the recent (completely and ridiculously exhaustive) study that was released showing that vaccines don't cause autism, etc. So, you know, get the regular vaccines for polio and such.
Oh - anyone who shows symptoms of swine flu gets labeled swine flu right now (because I guess it's not yet time for the normal flu to be out and about), but unless they swab and sent the cultures to one of four testing facilities in the US, you don't know for sure.
The end.
I heard on CBS Sunday Morning News that pregnant women ARE being advised to get the vaccine because H1N1 is making them sicker than the average person. If I was pregnant, I would go ahead and take it. However, since I am not, I'm not taking the shot and I'm not lining up for my kids to take it just because I go with the path of least bother.
Post a Comment