Like today when we went into Lowe's to buy our ornery (but loveable - despite what Daddy says) dog a newer, stronger shock collar. Jeremy was about to drive me wonky. Everything in the store was fascinating to him. He wanted to touch everything, ride the 'John Deere's', open every flippin' washing maching, ARGH! We got up to the register and he let go of my hand and went off running for about the 135th time and I lost it. "Jeremy, get over here now or you're going to get a spanking!"
I know people were thinking, "That poor child. That mom needs a good dose of patience." And I did. And I realized this. And I think this is where I have grown in parenting. I calmly brought Jeremy back over to the cart and got down on his level. I quietly said, "Jeremy, it's important that you listen to Mommy. Either hold Mommy's hand or sit on the cart - those are your choices. If you disobey again there will be consequences." Nevermind the fact that I had not worked out the consequences yet as we were in public and I really dislike to spank in public (I promise it wouldn't hurt a fly, but I still don't like to do it in public).
Anyway, as I was paying, Jeremy got it under control and I started looking around Lowe's. Honestly, what kid WOULDN'T go crazy in there? There are all kinds of cool things to touch and look at. So I decided to go back to my good mommy ways and we walked through the Christmas decorations on the way out. Jeremy LOVED it. I felt like a good mommy again. It was less stressful because I was no longer in a hurry or worried about Jeremy putting his hands on every single little thing. He even wanted 'a boost' to see some of the things on higher shelves (which I gladly gave to him).
I know this is such a cliche, but they won't be young for long. He won't be fascinated by store Christmas decorations much longer. And my baby will be all grown up (he's already a 'big boy' ya' know). So I'm going to calm down and just breathe. Maybe we'll both get through it with better memories...

Chillin' in 'Da hood (haha - laugh if you get it)

Halloween preview (we took this pic because I had to shove Daniel into this outfit I bought last year. I don't think it'll fit at Halloween. Jeremy is an elephant - I'm sure you can tell).

Me and The Boys - Man, I love those handsome dudes.
4 comments:
What a great Mom. I love you and miss you guys. Love Pa
You're a great mom and have the patience of Job. Read him that story next. :)
you are a terific mom, i just love all the pics but the last is my favorite. sure would like a copy of it.
they are so cute in there halloween costumes...hope the xmas santa outfits will find that we got last yr...u may need to take xmas pic now...love always, aunt shell
Post a Comment