Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Motherhood requires flexibility...

 

Please note, while you think I'm referring to a generally flexible attitude, I in fact am not.  

Motherhood requires physical flexibility.  

Let me explain.  My child (pictured like a little angel in this photo - which I assure you was not the case when Mommy started experimenting with the sling) was screaming and whining most of the day yesterday.  Some days, I am just at my scream/whine limit and will do virtually anything to make the noises stop.  

So I hopped on over to youtube to check out how to do a 'back carry' with one of my wraps. 

I should first say that I consider myself a sling wearing professional.  I have carried two children in slings.  I have used them to get babies to go to sleep (hello, Daniel slept in the sling more than he did in his crib the first 6 months of his life).  I have nursed in them (while grocery shopping even - don't judge).  I have wiped heineys with a baby in a sling, I have cleaned, you name it, I have done it - with a baby in a sling. 

I was pretty sure this was going to be a breeze.  Let me tell you, while the ladies in the videos make a 'back carry' look like a walk in the park - I could have won AFV's $100,000 prize if I had a video of me trying to get my whiny, wiggly baby into this hold.  I looked like a regular contortionist trying to wrap the wads and wads of fabric around my body while holding the little angel on my back.  And let's just say she didn't just sit there patiently and wait like the more experienced babies in the videos were doing.  She was doing everything in her power to squirm/flip/and otherwise release herself from the nice contraption mommy was trying to secure her in.  

 As you can tell from the picture, she loved it once I FINALLY managed to get her in it.  If you are a sling-wearing Mama, you also know from the picture that I did a terrible job with this hold and she came out promptly after Mommy got a picture.  

I have since been able to get her into it in a much better fashion - with some help from Doug.  But this picture was my first evidence that, yes - I could make it onto America's Got Talent if I really wanted to.  

:)

No comments: