Monday, June 16, 2008

Double the Fun (Part Two)

Hmmm, I foresee a lot of these "Double the Fun" posts...

Today is the second day I "did it myself" (translation: no grandparents around) so I guess that means it's time for my installment of 'fun with two kiddos'. For some reason both of these installments revolve around the potty. Please, please, please don't let this be a sign of things to come!

Today we went to the grocery store. Why I did not wait until tomorrow when my mom will be up, I'm not entirely sure. Mondays are grocery store days so this morning I just didn't think about it, packed up the boys and headed to the grocery store.

About a third of the way through the trip, Daniel was hungry and wailing. Even the sling was not working (it's worked every time up until today of course). So I walked up to the Harris Teeter manager and said, "Do you have a chair or somewhere I can sit down and feed him?" *Cue look of panic on young male managers face* He says, "Ummm, uh, uh, let me check". Ten minutes later he comes back. That was two minutes AFTER I had decided to just feed Daniel in the bathroom (Wooohooo! First bathroom breastfeeding experience for Daniel. Now we've gone through the two worst already - bathroom breastfeeding and hot car breastfeeding). So I head into the bathroom with Jeremy and Daniel. While I'm handling Daniel, Jeremy sneaks into a bathroom stall and locks the door. I hear from the other side of the locked door, "Mommy, needs go potty!". Ohhhh, my word!

Well, I thought perhaps he's just pretending because we're in the bathroom. From my view outside the stall though I see a little pair of blue crocs come off the feet, then a little pair of blue shorts.

What exactly are my choices here? I am locked out of the bathroom. Jeremy is not going to unlock the door (I've already told him at least 15 times to unlock the door and threatened with spankings and time out). I can get on my belly (holding Daniel mind you) and crawl under the stall - Nah! I can run out into the store and say "Hey random person I don't know! Can you hold my two week old newborn while I crawl under the door my 2-year-old locked and help him go potty?" - Nah! Or I can wait and see what happens.

Let's pick option number three. I see a pull-up come off from my view point. I am desperately trying to see through the tiny crack in the door and see Jeremy actually on the potty (sideways). I was just praying he didn't fall in. I hear Jeremy say, "Mommy, I'm peeing!". The next thing I know I hear the door unlocking. Jeremy comes out looking all proud. There is pee and poop in the potty. There is also poop on the floor, toilet seat, and his hands.

Daniel is still nursing. What do you say? I chose "I'm proud of you for going to the potty!". While I am still nursing Daniel, I manage to wipe Jeremy's bottom, get the poop off the floor, toilet, and little fingers. While I'm getting the poop off the floor I look over and Jeremy is picking up a raisin OFF THE BATHROOM FLOOR and pops it into his mouth. I scream, "No!!!!!!!!!". Too late. I think I threw up a little in my mouth. I know you think I'm a horrible mother, but honestly try cleaning up after your potty training two year old while nursing a 2 week old - You Try It!

Oh yeah, I knew it was a raisin and not poopy because we actually brought the raisins into the bathroom to entertain Jeremy while I was nursing. Perhaps this was mistake number one.

Anyway, I managed to get out of the bathroom without loosing my cool. Poop and pee went in the potty, and we finished grocery shopping. I deem that a successful trip. Hence the title - Double the Fun!

3 comments:

aunt shell said...

just loved the story...we all knew that jeremy is a big boy now and can go potty by himself...glad he didn't fall in the toliet...i guess the raisin was his reward and he got his reward all by himself...since u didn't have any m&m's for him in the grocery store...love always, aunt shell

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

That just seems to be the way it usually happens, when you get busy with one child, the other one needs you too. I don't think that will ever change, although you can try to learn from the last 2 incidents, I would probably go ahead and ask Jeremy to use the potty, and get him settled before starting to breastfeed Daniel. I know that is difficult when Daniel is screeming, but maybe a lot less messy:)
You go Girl, you are doing great!
Love,
Maw-maw

audrey said...

sounds like you had a very entertaining day..... well it gave you a good story to blog about and make us all laugh. i am sure there will be many more stories. hope you have a good night sleep tonight. hopefully i didn't just jinx you