Sunday, October 07, 2012

The Long Awaited Princess Party

Allie got invited to her first birthday party this weekend.  We got the invitation a month ago.  I just knew Allie would be so excited, so like a moron, I went ahead and told her about it.  This, was a rookie parenting mistake.

And oh my, it wasn't my only rookie parenting mistake.

I also went out and bought the present two weeks before the party.  A princess present.  And let's just say that Mary Grace did not end up with the first present that was purchased.  Oh no.  That one has been toted all over our house.  It has drooly, sticky fingerprints all over it.  Parts of the plastic container are wrinkled or even crushed.  I repeatedly told her it was for Mary Grace's birthday party.  This only led to more confusion.  Now the cute little set of 7 Disney princesses is actually referred to as 'Mary Grace's party'.

As in:
"Where my Mary Grace's party?"
"Daniel touch my Mary Grace's party!!!!"
"Help me find Mary Grace's party!"
"I can't find my Mary Grace's party *anywhere*!"  (insert extra dramatic flair with the word anywhere)

So a new present was bought and hidden from Allie this time.

Then came the morning of the party.  Allie was so excited.  Mommy has one thing to say:

GOD BLESS ALL THE QUEENS THAT EVER HAD TO GET THEIR PRINCESSES READY.  FOR ANYTHING.

:)

Now really.  I suppose it wasn't all that bad.  Doug took the boys grocery shopping so we had the house all to ourselves - which was nice.  And she didn't throw that many fits.  It's more the time it takes to maintain a princess.

For example,

Princesses need to actually wash their hair.  In the Sigmon household, we wash children's hair when something gets in it or when I feel bad that it's been so long I haven't washed their hair.  In that order.  I felt that for a princess party, we should actually wash the hair.  And while we were washing the hair, I re-remembered why Sigmon's don't wash children's hair very frequently.

Princesses also need to brush their hair.  I have been contemplating getting Allie's hair cut for a while - not because we want to or because she wants to, but because we *need* to cut the mane.  Her hair is beautiful, and I am particularly fond of girls with long hair.  But the girl screams every blessed time I brush her hair and I have to either chase her around, getting one swipe in at a time, or physically hold her down while she screams.  Unpleasant.  I actually emailed my mom before I even got started and told her I needed reinforcements for the princess's hair.  But she was yardsale-ing.  So I braved the storm myself.  

Princesses need their toenails painted.  And don't forget fingernails.  Purple.  They need to be purple.  And if you have a 2-year-old princess, you need to have the precision of a surgeon to paint those tiny, wiggly nails.  And after you get them painted?  Well, surely they will sit there like a good little princess and let them dry.  Or not.  They may decide that doing other things are much more fun.  And paint may go many places in your bathroom where you will never, ever find it.  

Princesses need tiaras.  And may I brag on the queen for a moment?  Yes?  Why thank you.  The queen, in her magnanimous wisdom, decided to attempt one of the only two hairstyles she has ever been proficient with - the bun.  If you have to ask what the other hairstyle is, you do not know me well!  :)  Might I say that the bun was amazing?  The tiara sat nicely around it.  Even though the queen did not have any bobby pins, she did an amazing job improvising and finding butterfly hairclips to clip it with.  

Princesses need ball gowns.  OK, clearly the genius's over at Disney know their stuff.  We stepped out of the bathroom with nails freshly done and hair looking fabulous and then GASP!  I think to myself - self, you should have put the costume on BEFORE you done did the hair!  Well, shiver me timbers ladies, you can step into the costume so crisis averted.  I didn't have to slide it over her wiggly head!  

And matching tinkerbell undies.  Don't even think about bringing down Dora.  Or even cinderella.  

Princesses accessorize.  Necklaces.  Bracelets.  Slippers.  Royal Scepters.  Yes.  I said royal scepters.  

I am TELLING YOU WHAT.  It took 45 minutes to get the princess ready.  And guess what?  I don't think I have EVER spent that long getting ready myself.  Including my wedding day and my prom!  

But oh, it was so worth it.  Allie loved the outfit, had a GREAT time at the princess party, and I'm sure when February comes around, we'll be doing it all again.  

I leave you with the fair princess:
     



1 comment:

aunt shell said...

The princess party post was so great...I'm so excited you have finally returned to blogging...love always, aunt shell