It's late....and yet I'm still updating.
Mostly because I feel bad about not updating. :)
Potty Training. Ummm, yeah. Potty Training.
First, let me say that my boy is super awesome incredible. He was pretty much pee potty trained after our potty party. He has accidents every once in a while - but overall I am very, very, very impressed with the whole potty party system.
Here is my one minor (major) gripe with the system: poop. It's a subject that for some reason gets discussed frequently on my blog (what is UP with that?). I guess the reason the potty party works is that they pee so many times that first day, they figure out what it feels like to need to pee in only one day. I think our problem the first time around (about 3 years ago) was that the peeing was less frequent so it took him much, much, *much* (read: almost an entire year) longer to get it. It was so frustrating.
Daniel is a superstar at peeing in the potty. He likes to do it by himself, just handle his business and I am SUPER grateful for that.
But the poop. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH the poop.
I have a super pooper. I would say he averages 4 a day. I have had many talks with God about why on earth my child poops so much. He's pretty much silent about that - I suppose if for some reason I were to meet him before Daniel gets fully trained it would be my first question.
Now before you say, "Oh come on, it's not that big of a deal" let me explain the scenario.
Poop happens. He tells me (or I realize it) and we head to the bathroom. The other two children inevitably follow. Why I never remember to shut the door and lock it is beyond me. As we're taking off the underwear, poo goes everywhere. Down little legs, on little fingers, on the potty, on the floor - several times it has made it on Mommy (just. don't. ask). The little person freaks out as he doesn't like to have poop on him (ummm, sometimes there is freaking by Mommy as she does not love having poop on her either). At the most inopportune moment, one of the other two comes strolling (or crawling) in. If it is the oldest, there is usually some totally annoying and completely unimportant question. If it is the youngest, she makes a beeline for the action and well, we won't even go there.
As you can imagine, things do not proceed smoothly. We carried on like this for 2 and a half weeks. TWO AND A HALF WEEKS PEOPLE!!!!! *Averaging 4 time a day!* Not a single poop made it into the potty. That *may* be why you got no updates.
My mom even took Allie after I dropped son #1 off at preschool one morning so I could concentrate on the 'issue at hand'. We went without pants until around 3pm and only got poop on the floor. While I was talking to him for goodness sake! I *watched* him and didn't even realize what was happening until it was too late. Then we went into undies for the rest of the day because I just couldn't handle it (and to add to my emotional breakdown child 1 comes down with 102 degree fever and child 3 does not take a nap all afternoon). Guess what? Four additional poops in the undies that afternoon/evening. Holy freakin' cow.
Now, lest you think this story continues forever - finally something amazing happened. A poop made it in the potty on Friday. And then another one did on Sunday. PRAISE THE LORD. And I mean that in the very way it is supposed to be meant.
Some people say "Praise the Lord" for their nice parking spot or a green light and are not giving praise to the Lord at all. I am saying "Praise the Lord" because:
Thank you sweet Jesus I was about to loose my mind!!!! You have really used this experience to prove how much I really, really, really need you.
I know 90% of you think I am being dramatic. Well let me tell you that is not the case. I got in a super-funk after about a week and a half of poop. I kept flipping out every time we had an 'incident'. I would yell at the kiddos (plural I tell you. Multiple kids if they were around). I would have to lock myself in a room and turn on the babysitter - oh sorry I mean TV - just to calm down after incidents. I felt so out of control! I pride myself in being able to hold it together most of the time but I just wasn't able to do it! It scared me and made me feel like a terrible, terrible mother.
And well, I don't really know where this post is going. Except to say - I'm finally coming out of my funk. We're not potty trained yet. But at least I feel like I can say a few positive things so I can blog about it. This was not the case even a couple of days ago.
So maybe you can judge how we're doing by when the next update happens. If it's a few days from now - everything is peachy. If you don't hear from me for a month - you might better call and make sure I haven't jumped the next flight to Hawaii...
And that's the news from the Sigmon house!
PS - Happy Birthday Honey. I really, really mean that. I promise I will write a meaningful post about how much I love you after Daniel poops in the potty again... :)
1 comment:
Oh the dreaded potty training! Glad to hear that you've had some success . . . praying for more (and for your sanity, too!)!!! :-)
Post a Comment