Thursday, February 10, 2011

For my Sweet Birthday Girl

Tonight, Doug and I were reminiscing.  

Me:  Do you remember what we were doing one year ago tonight?  
Doug:  Having a baby?  
Me:  No, right now.  [Note: It was around 9pm] 

And of course he remembered.  

We were watching this little girl turn purple. 

And make funny noises.  
 
And then we watched as a nurse tried to get her to breathe/cry/turn not purple.

And we watched as they gave our newborn oxygen.  Pretty much silently.

OK, well ya'll know I can't be silent.  But my epidural (can I get an amen for epidurals?) hadn't fully worn off so I wasn't exactly steady on my feet and I was telling Doug to get his little patootie over towards where the nurse was working on Allie.  I wanted someone to be there with her.  I knew her little infant mind was wondering what in the world was going on and I wanted her to know that her Daddy was right there.  
 
And as I write that line, I realize that we are all yearning for a 'daddy' that will be there when we wonder what in the world is going on.  

When a relationship fails 
When we lose a child 
When it doesn't turn out like we thought it would
When someone we thought would always be there - suddenly isn't 

When He stands next to us, He gives us a peace so that we know everything will be alright.  The question becomes, do you know Him like that? 

These verses impacted me a few days ago:

"Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, He had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose He is working out in everything and everyone." Eph 1:11-12

I might not know the plan, but God does.  

Dear Sweet Allie Girl,
Before you were born, God had his eye on you.  He has big plans for you.  He sent an angel into our room at the exact time you would be turning purple, because He knew that Mommy and Daddy would be too scared to even know how to find help!  Don't ever forget that.

Love,
Mommy

On a different note, here are some pictures of Allie trying to share her birthday sucker with Daniel.  Apparently, even though he will rub snot all over his face, he thinks a slobbered upon sucker is totally disgusting.   


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So touching Laurina! How right you are. Happy birthday allie!

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I loved this. I CANNOT believe it's been a year. I remember reading that story, then meeting her all bundled up in your baby wrap. Love the pictures! Happy Birthday Allie!!