Tuesday, March 30, 2010

R.I.P. Troll















I am in a state of panic.

I seemed to have killed my child's pet.

Meet troll. He is our ginormous Plecostomus (it's a fish). You will notice he is belly-up in our tank. He liked to hang out under the bridge.

The kids are out of town for a few days so I decided it would be a great time to clean out the fish tank. Apparently 5 buckets of cold water is not so good for a fish.

I am holding out hope though. Perhaps he is in some state of torpor - kinda like hibernation??? Dude, I hope so. Because I'm about to throw up thinking about telling my precious little boy that his fish died.

Doug say I'm totally over-reacting. He thinks we should chuck the fish in the creek, get rid of the tank (sell it on Craig's List), and tell Jeremy we set troll free into the river.

I say I should go to the local pet store, by another Pleco, and just tell Jeremy that troll shrunk while he was gone (dude, I've never seen a pet store sell a Pleco as large as troll is/was). As a matter of fact, I didn't want to even GET troll. I asked the pet store guy for an algae eater and he said Troll was all they had. I told him that if Troll died I did not want to fish a gigantic dead fish out of the tank. He told me he'd give it to me for the price of a tiny algae eater AND promised me that these fish were impossible to kill.

Well, obviously he was WRONG!

Alright, what should I do???

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Listen to your husband. He is a wise man. And seriously, how much do you actually enjoy cleaning a smelly fish tank?

It has been my experience with the girls that whatever explanation I give for random life events (like why their stuff is in the trash or has been sold or why someone doesn't have a pet anymore) is usually accepted without much trauma.

What are not accepted are the explanations I give on why they should not hit each other, why they shouldn't back talk, or why they should stop talking full volume all day long.

Dump the fish. Jeremy will survive - I promise promise promise.

Gammy said...

Gammy agrees with Kim.

I do think the noise of the aquarium may help drown out Allie crying; therefore, the boys may sleep better with some constant noise in their room. :)

Gammy said...

I'm looking for my Easter pics and all I keep seeing is a dead troll...not reminding me of the resurrection.