Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The 'paci' battle















Both of our pediatricians (we had one in Cary and one here) have been advocates of taking away the pacifier by 18 months.

I've heard opinions both ways.

We try to do what the doc says, so we took the paci away from Jeremy before his 18 month appointment. At Daniel's 12 month appointment the doctor told me it was time to start taking away the pacifier and that he'd like it gone by the 18 month appointment. Apparently I wasn't looking very round yet (being newly pregnant). I informed him that it was not a good time for us and he said something to the effect of, "Well, I'll probably just lecture you at the next appointment". I told him he probably wouldn't because I'd have all three kids there - an almost four year old, an 18 month old, and a new baby. No one wants to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Well, now Daniel is 21 months old. I am starting to wonder when there will be a good time to take it away. At first I was thinking when Allie started sleeping through the night. But then I thought, Why in the heck would I do that? I would finally be getting some sleep! Daniel sleeps with his paci so I wouldn't want to stop getting up with a baby only to be getting up with a 2-year-old.














He's pretty cute with it too. He sucks on it upside down all the time. As a matter of fact, if you put it in his mouth the correct way, he will turn it over (seen below). He also finds them under the crib and comes strolling out with one in his mouth when he's knows he's not supposed to have it. We're down to bed-time only now so I think that's pretty good.

Took some great pics at the park today so stay tuned for another blog!

Just for fun, here's a pic of J and a pic of A.

5 comments:

aunt shell said...

love the picture of all 3 of them...baby allie is so cute with her hairbows...guess she has one to match ever outfit...daniel is also adorable with the upside down paci...jeremy is so silly...love always, aunt shell

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My little sister didn't break away till she was maybe 3, and there's nothing wrong with her. :) I would give the old braces excuse, but the majority of kids are getting braces whether they had a paci, sucked their thumb, or did neither. You do what works for you. That's the great part about you being the parent. :)

Gammy said...

I agree with Brad and Hailey. Daniel will probably get braces and correct any issues the paci causes. I think he should have anything he wants anytime! :) He's too cute not to give in.

grandpa said...

i agree with everyone else, i had to change my name to get on other blogs.

grandpa said...

well i don't understand this whole changing names, i ended up changing it to your dads. someone help me, grandma