Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Lesson in Thankful

Are you ready for a sting?

OK, here goes:

Let's say you get your child a Christmas present.  Maybe one of them asked for a power ranger for Christmas.  You went out and searched the rack, decided on a power ranger, put it back, picked up another one, then see the perfect one and decide that this is what your child would love the most. Upon opening the present, they say something like this:

Wow!  I really like it even though it *is* red instead of blue - my FAVORITE color. 

Now question:

Is your child really showing thankfulness, or are they using this moment as an opportunity to complain that their new gift is red instead of blue? 



All of you know I love facebook.  I post on facebook regularly and I also use it to keep up with friends. 

I LOVE the thankful posts. 

But then a few days ago I noticed something.  Most of the posts on my feed sound something like this (and trust me ladies - I am preaching to myself.  I'm using examples from my own life since I am so prone to doing this myself, not calling anyone out):

Day 1:  Today I am thankful for my washing machine.  Because one of my three kids pee in the bed *every* *single* *night*.

Day 2:  Today I am thankful for my husband, even though he woke me up when he was getting ready for work at 5am.

Day 3:  Today I am thankful for Target, even though two of my three kids were screaming when we left.

Day 4:  Today I am thankful for Pinterest.  When my kids are driving me crazy I can always find a cool worksheet and distract them for 5 minutes. 


Does anyone other than me notice anything about these 'thankful' posts? 

I wonder what our heavenly father would say about us thanking him like that?  He knows what we need.  Every good and perfect gift comes from him.  When did we become such an entitled culture that likes to whine and complain so much?  I can't seem to 5 minutes with complaining about something.

Let's try again, this time truly being thankful:

Day 1:  Today I am thankful for my washing machine.  And having running water.  And enough clothes for my family.  And enough money to pay for the water bill and laundry detergent.  And I even have an entire room in my house that is only for laundry.  Wow!  I am so blessed.

Day 2:  Today I am thankful for my husband.  God could not have given me a more perfect mate.  I am so proud of how hard he works for our family. 

Day 3:  Today I am thankful for Target.  I can run out to the store to buy whatever I need.  I know many in other countries cannot even fathom what it would be like to be able to do that.

Day 4:  Today I am thankful for Pinterest.  It gives me creative ideas to help my children learn and grow.  It also makes me feel more sane and like I accomplish things during the day. 


Please note, I am not saying that you should never, ever complain on facebook.  Geeze, I complain regularly.  But mark it down - from now on, if I am posting something I am thankful about - I will truly have a thankful attitude.  And if not, call me on it.  Seriously. 

No comments: