Has it truly been since Christmas since I last posted????
Really???
My dear readers (if you're still out there), you have missed so much!
Well, I have birthdays to update and the like but today I am motivated to post about a conversation we had yesterday with Jeremy.
We have started memorizing scripture as a family. So far it has been 3 weeks and we have tackled 3 verses. This week we chose a verse that addressed a family struggle we have been having lately - lying.
Proverbs 12:22
The Lord detests lying lips, but delights in a trustworthy person.
We talked about what the word 'detest' means and what the word 'trustworthy' means.
This is the first week we got push back from the kids. Jeremy said he did not like the verse.
This was an awesome opportunity to talk to Jeremy about God's word.
Sometimes, when God's word addresses a particular sin we are dealing with, it is hard to take.
Sometimes, we don't like it.
Doug asked Jeremy if he trusted God enough to believe that all of his word is true.
I thought that was profound. Do we trust God enough to believe that His ways are best? Even if we don't see a problem with something we are doing (in Jeremy's case - lying), trusting him enough to know that He knows better than us what we need. Loving Him enough that even if we can't see the harm in it, choosing not to sin against Him anyway. Ouch for me on this one!
Psalm 119:11 says:
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
so that I won't sin against you.
We talked about how hiding God's word in your heart helps you deal with sin when you are tempted.
I feel like this is so simple, yet so powerful.
A quick little message for the children, that sometimes we as adults need to hear over and over again too.
2 comments:
Wow, awesome honey! Loved the post.
I find that most often we learn more from our kids then they learn from us. It makes us evaluate if we are really practicing what we preach. This was a particularly special conversation you had with him. He has two awesome parents.
Post a Comment