Monday, September 06, 2010

So Long Mount Holly!

I am taking a break from our last night of packing to blog a fond farewell to our house in Mount Holly.

Boy, have we changed a lot since we first got here!



























I will never forget the memories we have made here. We came as new parents, fresh out of school. We leave with a new direction in life and two more kiddos. We have had 2 births, 1 one-year-old party, 2 two-year-old parties, 1 three-year-old party, and 1 four-year old party. This is the house where Doug was called into the ministry, where I became a stay-at-home mom, where Doug turned 30 (*please note I am still 29 :), where friends were made, and our leadership skills grew along with our family size.



























We didn't even get many skinned knees down our super-steep driveway (you can't really tell from the pic). We spent many, many hours in camping chairs in the front yard while Jeremy entertained the neighborhood kids, or begged to go see if they could come play with him. We became good friends with neighbors such as the Johnsons, Sanders, and Kempers - and even made a police officer friend - Mr Kyle!































My favorite room in the house is the nursery. I have spent many, many, many nights in there rocking my children to sleep and looking at the beautiful mural on the wall. I hope if the next person that is buying the house paints it that I never find out about it. I get a little teary-eyed just thinking about it.



































My least favorite room? The kitchen. Dear pointy-edge on the bar: I will not miss you at all! You have been the most irritating part of our house to me. Jeremy would run his head right into you when he was a toddler and now Daniel does at least three times a week now. Dear white floor: I will not miss you at all! You are the most nightmare-ish thing to clean ever. Even a mop and a whole bunch of elbow grease will not restore you to your glory days. Dear tiny dining area: So long! You served us well when we were a family of three. Our new house has an entire room devoted to eating. No more children banging chairs into the wall as they try (ever so cautiously) to get up from the table.

My favorite memories are of spending time with the whole family outside - usually in the garden, blowing bubbles with the kiddos out front, popcorn and movies on the 'big bed' (read: pull-out sofa) in the living room, creek walking with the family, and rock and roll breakfast (which is a tradition I'm sure we will carry with us to the next house).




























We have neighbors that have become incredible friends - and that is something we will never forget.

So long!

8 comments:

aunt shell said...

the pictures are great...your tribute to the old house kinda made me teary eyed also...but you will have loads of memories in any house you have...can't wait to see the new house...love always, aunt shell

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

:( This makes me so sad!!

We're really going to miss yall. Don't worry, we'll be down tomorrow before you leave to give a "proper" goodbye. You've been the best, and I hate seeing you go. But I know God has great things planned for your family. I'm just so happy facebook and blogs were invented so we can still stay in touch.

Dani In NC said...

You are SO sentimental :-). When we moved out of our last house, I never looked back! I know you guys will settle in well in your new house because you are the types that could turn a hovel into a home.

"May the roof above you never fall in, and may the good companions beneath it never fall out."

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

Oh my! My emotions are streaming down my checks right now! We will miss having you closer to us. I love having all the grandchildren together and they play soooos good together. Our prayers and love are with your family as you make your transition into your new home. WARNING FOR THE RALEIGH AREA!!! You are gaining a very loving and caring family,
but more SNOW may follow them to your area:)
Love, Maw-maw

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

Sorry, misspelled cheeks above.

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

The pictures are great, thanks for posting them!!!

audrey said...

Wow.... What a great tribute, love all the pictures, I know all your friends and church friends will miss you guys, you are a terific family

audrey said...

had to change my name to get on jason and jennys blog. love grandma