Monday, December 08, 2008

The Potty Problem

Disclaimer: If you think my children are perfect and do not wish to know about willful disobedience then you should probably not read this blog (hint, hint Pa).


We have a problem. We have been potty training dear Jeremy for over a year now. Most of the time it is not so bad. Today has been a bad day. He did make it all the way through our trip to the gym without peeing in his pants (WOOOHOOO!), but then he peed in them once we got home and then pooped in them which has prompted this post.

The child pees in his pants every time we send him to timeout. How frustrating is this? Today he spit (something he learned from 'Madagascar' thank you very much) so I sent him to timeout. He had just been to the bathroom 20 minutes before. After less than 2 minutes in timeout I told him he could get up and he promptly says, "Mommy I peed in my pants". ARGH!!!!!!! And no, he didn't really have to go. He does this every time he's in underwear in time out. So I'm looking for ways to immediately potty train your child. Or at least prevent him from peeing on the time out chair.

Any good advice that I actually use gets a picture of Jeremy and Daniel sent to you via the USPS (I know, what a great prize, right?).

Story of the day:

After pooping in his pants, I was trying to clean him up. He BIT me in the leg! So of course I had a knee jerk reaction and spanked him on the leg (not too hard). I said, "Jeremy, biting hurts people and we don't hurt people in this family!".
Jeremy's response? "Mommy, you spanked me on the butt and it hurt!"

DOH! Darn toddler logic....

:)

4 comments:

Reminisce said...

Oh, I forgot the 'willful disobedience' part. So when Jeremy announces he peed in his pants he is ALWAYS smiling. I know he knows what he is doing.... Help please!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurina,

Sounds like you're having fun! You might want to put him in pullups when he goes into time-outs, or move the time out chair to the bathroom? It's definitely something he's doing to get attention and he knows it's frustrating you. Or can you change the 'punishment' to something different than time out?

Is it something else he's acting out about?

One thing you can be proud of is that he's very logical! You could also ask him what punishment he thinks is appropriate - he might have good ideas :)

Good luck!
Becky

aunt shell said...

good idea...how bout u take all those kid's meal toys and wrap a few and tell jeremy bean that if he goes all day w/o messing in his pants he gets to open a spcl present...put them w/a tag that says spcl present for the big boy jeremy bean...love always, aunt shell

Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw said...

I would suggest taking Jeremy to the potty on a regular schedule, and always take him before leaving home. Before sending him to time-out take a trip to the potty first. And of course always beware if he gets quiet and is hiding:)The candy reward you have been using seemed to work well last weekend, although he actually forgot about the candy several times when his cousins were here, he was too busy getting back to play:) When he wanted to go outside or do something fun, I would say let's go potty, and then we will do that. I know this is what you and Doug do, too, and it worked great while he was here.
Just stick with the plan!
Love, Maw-maw