We've been having an issue at bedtime.
When I read books to the kids, they like to do everything but sit and listen to the story. I've given them plenty of warnings. Instead of it being calming it usually turns into somebody hitting their brother with a pillow (or any other object in the room) and two boys crying.
A few nights ago neither one of them was listening to the story and they were whining at each other so I just closed the book (halfway through) and said, "Alright, time to get in the bed!".
Jeremy starts flipping out and next Daniel does too. Here's our conversation:
Jeremy: But Mommy! I promise! We won't do it again! I promise!
Me: Well, that is what you said the last time I gave you a warning. Tonight we are going to bed and I'm sure you'll remember tomorrow night that during storytime, we sit and actually listen to the stories.
Jeremy: But Mommy! Show us grace! Show us grace!
Daniel (chiming in right behind J): I need some grapes! I need some grapes!
It is very difficult not to laugh sometimes when you're trying to teach your children a lesson!
2 comments:
Following through with consequences can be Soooooo hard sometimes. It's the worst part of the mothering job. It's amazing how much having children of my own has made me understand the workings of Heavenly Father. How many times does he mutter to me, "Just do what I say, I know the things that will make you happy in the end" and I ignore it for what makes me happy now?
Keep it up. I read something recently that even if the kids don't seem affected by the consequence (I have one who likes to pretend she doesn't care) it's important that they know they have them.
We're raising good people!
Ha! I LOVE IT! ;-)
Post a Comment