Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Parenting Delimma

The scene:

I'm walking around doing my volunteer duties at church.  I happen to be walking past Daniel's classroom and I hear one of the volunteers in his room say:

Daniel, you're kind of confusing me bud.  You've told me that three times, but everytime we get to the bathroom, you don't have to go.

He said it in the nicest way possible.  It was even kind of sweet to listen to him talk to my son like that.  I laughed.

And then I thought, we really do have a problem with this. 

Daniel says, "I need to go poopy" at least 200 times a day.  OK, maybe that's an exaggeration.  100.  50?  I don't know.  A lot. 

It's never "I need to go pee pee", always poopy.  I'm not entirely sure he knows the difference. 

Anyway, he says it anytime he doesn't like what's going on.  Doesn't want to go to bed?  He needs to poop.  Doesn't want to stay in his class at church?  He needs to poop.  Not getting desired attention from momma?  He needs to poop.  And as soon as you convince him to get off the potty, he needs to go again. 

Has anyone else dealt with this?  I have a friend at church whose daughter was doing this and she said she stopped after 2 months.  2 months?!?!?!  I'm looking for a little faster solution.  Suggestions? 

2 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Ok, I don't have any suggestions, but this did crack me up. If you find a solution, please share. I like being prepared... lol.

Kimberly said...

We deal with similar issues. Depending on Daniel's understanding of truth vs. fib, you can treat these false alarms as fibbing and whatever consequence that brings. Or, since you have a good idea of his potty habits, limit him to once every half hour or something like that. I'm having to crack down on Miriam's handwashing (the diligence at preschool is translating into a bit of OCD here at home) and she has limits on when she can wash hands.

Kids are great............Making us use our brains and stuff.